Monday, April 20, 2009

Super Easy Toddler Slippers


Super Easy Toddler Slippers
I’ve knit these slippers to fit my 2 ½ year old girl whose feet measure 6” from toe to heel. They are easy to adjust by either increasing or decreasing the amount of rows in the first part of the pattern or the second part after the initial decreases. As it is they are roomy which will allow for some growth. They are worked in one piece with the top section once sewn up consisting of a moss stitch panel and the sides and sole in stocking stitch.



Materials
7mm Straight Needles
50g DK Yarn (Held double)
Darning Needle
Optional – anti-slip matting to sew ovals on heel and toe area

Pattern (Knit Two)
Holding yarn double, cast on 22 stitches.

Work the following pattern for 12 rows.
1) K1, P1, K1,P1, K14, P1, K1, P1, K1
2) K1, P1, K1, P16, K1, P1, K1
Decrease as follows:
1) K1, P1, K1,P1, SSK, K10, K2 tog, P1, K1, P1, K1
2) K1, P1, K1, P14, K1, P1, K1
3) K1, P1, K1,P1, SSK, K8, K2 tog, P1, K1, P1, K1
4) K1, P1, K1, P12, K1, P1, K1
Continue in pattern as follows:
1) K1, P1, K1,P1, K10, P1, K1, P1, K1
2) K1, P1, K1, P12, K1, P1, K1
Repeat above 2 rows once more.

Decrease for Toe
1) K1, P1, K1,P1, SSK, K6, K2 tog, P1, K1, P1, K1
2) K1, P1, K1, P10, K1, P1, K1
3) K1, P1, K1,P1, SSK, K4, K2 tog, P1, K1, P1, K1
4) K1, P1, K1, P8, K1, P1, K1

Break off yarn, thread through remaining stitches and pull tight.
Fold in half lengthways from toe to heel then sew up back seam, leaving the moss stitch area open.
Sew up front from toe for around 3 inches.

I sewed 2 little pads on the bottom of each slipper cut in ovals from anti-slip matting as we have wooden floors and this has improved the grip.
Please feel free to use this pattern for personal or charitable use but please don’t try to pass the work off as your own!

8 comments:

  1. I've been making houseshoes with a pattern that is nearly the same as yours . I made some for my 3 year old grandson , but he would slide down when he wore them at my house . So I had him take them to his house , cause they have carpet at their house and he wouldn't get hurt at my house . I'll try sewing a bottom on them like you did . Do I just measure his foot and then streach the houseshoes to fit the bottom cut out?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Judy, I just cut two ovals of the non-slip rubberised matting for each foot then sewed it on the ball of the foot and the heel and my daughter hasn't slipped over so far. Its the same stuff as you can buy to lay in the boot of your car to stop things sliding around.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Su2ie, Its 3:36am I've worked on my blog,and now I;ve just been looking at others.I think yours is very well put.How do you getthe post up on the left side, or get up another page?
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute slipper pattern! My 2 yr. old grandson put in an order for "red puppy" slippers. So I knit your pattern, in red yarn, put on a noes and eyes and some ears and made him some red puppy slippers.
    Very cute and easy pattern, Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You can also use puff paint on the bottoms to stop the slipping. Maybe write their names or left and right. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful and easy pattern to follow. Great instructions. Made a pair didn't take long to make

    ReplyDelete
  7. How would i alter pattern to make men and women sizes?

    ReplyDelete